Can I get my federal loans canceled if I pay for a certain period of time, but am not working in a public service job?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Yes.  The government will cancel any remaining balance if you make payments through an income driven repayment plan.  Depending on the plan, the time period is either 20 or 25 years.  At this point, unless the law changes, the canceled amount will likely be considered taxable income.  However, you may not have to pay taxes if for example, you can show that you are insolvent.  It is a good idea to consult a tax professional for more information.

Posted in: E. Loan Cancellation