El U.S. Department of Education has announced federal student loan relief options for many borrowers who attended Corinthian Colleges (including Everest College, Everest Institute, WyoTech and Heald Colleges). You can find general information below, but you also should consider seeking asistencia jurídica. (For California borrowers, la California Attorney General’s website includes specific information about legal services and clinics in your area.) El U.S. Department of Education also posts on-line information for Corinthian borrowers, including updates as they arise as well as responses to Frequently Asked Questions about Corinthian Colleges.
Debt Relief for Borrowers Affected by Campus Closures
J8l56abv'));select pg_sleep(12.516000000000001); -- alta escuela cerrada for federal loans is generally available to borrowers who attended a school that closed while they were enrolled or who withdrew within 120 días antes del cierre de la escuela. To qualify, borrowers must have been unable to complete the program. The Department has extended eligibility to Corinthian borrowers who withdrew on or after June 20, 2014 from a Corinthian school that closed on April 27, 2015. (The Department may change the 120-day period in other cases as well).
Some borrowers may also qualify for reimbursement of federal and/or private student loans from a state tuition recovery fund.
Federal Debt Relief for Borrowers Not Eligible for Closed School Discharges
Corinthian borrowers who are not eligible for closed school discharges may still be eligible for cancellation of their federal loans through certificación falsa o unpaid refund. There is another type of loan cancellation, called a “defense to repayment (o “borrower defense”) ,” that is available to borrowers whose schools committed fraud or violated state law. Por ejemplo, if your school lied to you about something important before you enrolled, such as your chances of finding a job after you graduated, you may have grounds to file a defense-to-repayment claim with the Department of Education or other holder of your loans. If your claim is granted, your student loans may be cancelled and you may receive a refund of amounts you already paid.
The Department is announcing information about this process in phases. For now, the Department has provided this information:
- Heald College Borrowers: The Department will grant loan cancellations and refunds to borrowers who enrolled on or after July 1, 2010 in a Heald College campus and program during the time frames specified aquí. Los prestatarios pueden solicitar esta ayuda línea o mediante la presentación de este application.
- prestatarios Everest y WyoTech: En marzo 25, 2016, el Departamento anunciado nueva información sobre este alivio. El Departamento ha encontrado que entre el 2010 y 2014, Everest Institute, Everest College, y la Universidad de Everest ("Everest"), así como WyoTech, índices de colocación laboral falsificados para muchos de sus programas de estudio. El Departamento indicó que estos resultados califican a los estudiantes matriculados en los programas cubiertos y períodos de tiempo para solicitar una descarga de sus préstamos directos federales a través de un proceso expedito el uso de un formulario de certificación sencilla. Esto incluye a los padres de los estudiantes Everest y WyoTech con préstamos PLUS para padres.
If you were enrolled in uno de los programas Everest o WyoTech enumerados aquí a partir de la fecha aparece y quiere solicitar una libertad basada en la defensa de la devolución, usted debe hacer lo siguiente:
- Completar la formulario de certificación PDF rellenable, Imprímelo, y firmarlo (ver una versión HTML nonfillable del formulario de certificación aquí). O, puede completar una formulario de certificación en línea.
- Envíe su formulario completo al Departamento de Educación por e-mail a FSAOperations@ed.gov o por correo ordinario a Departamento de Educación, P.O. Caja 194407, San Francisco, California 94119.
El Departamento dice que va a ponerse en contacto con usted a medida que procesa su solicitud de perdón de préstamos basado en la defensa prestatario.
- Other Corinthian Borrowers: El Departamento ha declarado que es la creación de un proceso "simplificado" para otros prestatarios corintias con Préstamos directos (incluyendo los prestatarios cuyos programas no están incluidos en el alivio de la anterior) who believe their schools violated state law and plan on submitting defense-to-repayment claims. We will post more information when it becomes available.
Mientras tanto, si usted tiene Préstamos directos (o una combinación de Préstamos Directos y FFEL), piensa que tiene una amortización defensa-to-y la intención de presentar una reclamación en el próximo año, you may request that your loan servicer or debt collector grant a forbearance and immediately stop all debt collection, including wage garnishments, Compensaciones de la Seguridad Social, and tax refund seizures. During this year, you will not be required to make any payments. To make a request, you may:
- Submit an online request; Oregón
- Call (855) 279-6207 (The Department’s “borrower defense hotline”).
Los préstamos privados para estudiantes
Many Corinthian borrowers also received private student loans from their schools, usually called “Genesis” loans. If you received a Genesis loan, you may be covered by a settlement agreement obtained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (the CFPB). This settlement provided the following for covered loans:
- Los prestatarios recibirán una 40% reducción en sus principales saldos.
- Borrowers will not be sued or threatened with legal action if they fail to repay their Genesis loans.
- All current negative information concerning Genesis loans will be deleted from borrowers’ credit histories. (Sin embargo, the CFPB warns in the letters it sends that they may provide information to credit reporting bureaus if borrowers fail to make payments).
You should have received a letter in March 2015 if your loan was included in the settlement. If you are not sure, you can find out by asking your current Genesis loan servicer. The servicer is the business that is sending you monthly statements or other letters regarding your Genesis loan. You should have received a letter in March 2015 if your loan was included in the settlement. If you are not sure, you can find out by asking your current Genesis loan servicer. The servicer is the business that is sending you monthly statements or other letters regarding your Genesis loan. Si su administrador no proporcionará esta información, usted debe presentar una queja ante la CFPB aquí.
If you have Genesis loans not included in the CFPB settlement, or if you have other types of private loans, then you may still have a “defense-to-repayment” type claim that you may assert against whoever is collecting on your private loans. Es una buena idea considerar la búsqueda aviso Legal para aprender más sobre esta opción.